Sunday, August 28, 2011

Public Transport!

A pretty young girl stepped in and took her seat in the bus. One glance at her and you could say that she was the fashion conscious type! No sooner had that thought struck my mind, she opened her big brown bag and took out that purse mirror and stick that I have always wondered why women use. Yes! I am talking about lipstick! As she coloured her lips bright red, the young man seated next to her could not stop staring - I must admit that if someone was seated right next to me and staring at me as though I had committed some crime, I would have felt awkward. This young girl, however, didn't seem to care and I guess she was enjoying all the attention that she was getting. That probably answers my question on why women use lipstick ;-)

While the college girl was enjoying the attention, the lady seated next to me in the bus was keenly watching. Not to be left behind, she opened her bag too. She must have been disappointed not to find any lipstick in there and must have made a mental note of putting one in the bag that day. However, she did find a moisturizer and with a little smile on her face, she started applying it. I am not sure if she grabbed as many eye-balls as the young student though. One thing is for sure - She did provide some entertainment and I couldn't control my laughter. I was staring out of the bus and smiling like a mad man. I wonder what people on the road who saw me smile must have thought!

When it takes close to an hour to reach work every morning, incidents like these make the commute fun. Having used public transport for a couple of months now, I should say that I am really enjoying it. It has more advantages than one if you are the kind who likes to observe people and their mannerisms. I am the kind who truly loves this and don't get me wrong here, I don’t mean that I only like ‘checking out’ girls. I like to observe people - boys and girls, men and women, young and old as they all teach me something new. The ways people think and behave and respond to situations varies largely due to their surroundings, experiences, beliefs, etc. and trust me you learn a lot by just observing them.

I am glad that after having driven the car to work for about 2 years, I decided to take the bus. In my case, it cheers me up, brings my stress levels down, I get to meet new people every day and most importantly I also managed to take one car off the busy roads of Bangalore. One car won’t make a difference you say? I beg to differ!

Hoping that a lot more people begin to take public transport – it would reduce the traffic on the roads and I would also get to meet and observe lot more people :-)

1 comment:

Rem said...

3 cheers to BMTC!!!!!